Cambridge Local First Events
Dog Friendly Cambridge
The Practice of Leadership: Essential Tools for Resilient Small Business
The practice of leadership is a core discipline of successful and resilient businesses. Caleb Dean from Owl, Fox & Dean will introduce some of the methods that he uses in helping organizations across a wide range of sectors develop leadership capacity. Participants from any role within an organization can benefit from attending.
The participant should leave the meeting with:
- Practical tools to help develop leadership capacity for yourself and within your business
- A five step process to prepare for and structure difficult conversations
- Methods for developing high quality relationships with staff and stakeholders
- Approaches to develop strong team working agreements
Join us on May 6th from 9:00am – Noon at the CLF Conference Room located at 99 Bishop Allen Drive, Cambridge Ma 02139 for this incredibly valuable workshop!
This is a FREE workshop put on by Cambridge Local First in collaboration with the City of Cambridge’s Community Development Department, sponsored by Cambridge Trust Company. There is a suggested donation of $20.
Topics covered will include:
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
Amy Carlin’s performance management insights will teach you tools to motivate, understand, and effectively interact with employees to encourage ideal performance, starting with the essentials to properly hire employees. She will also discuss proper channels to instruct and, if necessary reprimand or fire employees to ensure the best outcomes. Amy is passionate about ensuring that business owners have all of the tools to streamline these processes.
- HR BEST PRACTICES
Judy Polacheck will cover HR best practices such as the essentials that any employee handbook must have (and the importance of having an employee handbook) as well as common questions about relevant HR policies that can often seem ambiguous. Judy’s focus in her law practice is to create systems to help prevent employment conflicts, and her experience will be invaluable in helping to create your own systems.
- BENEFITS FOR ATTRACTING AND RETAINING KEY EMPLOYEES AND STAFF
Jim McSweeney and his team from The CIP Group will discuss employee benefit strategies designed to maximize value and improve employee retention. The presentation topics will focus on the differing needs of all employees, key employees and business owners. This is a condensed presentation intended to provide the audience with some real life insights gained from The CIP Group in their 25 years of working with Small & Growing Businesses.
The participant should leave the meeting with a better understanding of:
· Key employee strategies to retain talent and offset employer costs in the event of an unforeseen loss
· Benefit strategies to reward business owners
· The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and how to make it work for you
· Advantages/Disadvantages of Group vs. Individual insurance contracts
· Buyout strategies for partners
- Q & A SESSION WITH PANELISTS – BRING YOUR HR QUESTIONS!
Shift Your Shopping For Good- Kevin Bacon Video
The independently-owned businesses listed below will give a portion of your purchases to any charity you choose. Simply submit a “Shift Your Shopping For Good” flyer during the dates indicated. All 1,000,000+ charities in the country are automatically included!
Help your business and any charity in town by joining the campaign for free, too! Click “Count Me In.”
- Read about the campaign on CNN.com, GOOD, Upworthy, or Beliefnet
- Show friends and family you really care by using Kevin Bacon-approved gift tags