By Molly Bond, published on American Booksellers Association on Feb. 9, 2021.
Booksellers are encouraged to register for an upcoming antitrust webinar with Rep. David Cicilline, chair of the House Antitrust Subcommittee, on Monday, February 22. The American Booksellers Association is co-sponsoring the webinar, which will run from 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. ET, with the Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) and small business organizations from across the country.
The event, “Reining in Monopoly Power: Small Businesses and the Push to Strengthen Antitrust Laws,” is an opportunity for booksellers to learn about recent antitrust updates and participate in a live Q&A featuring:
- Mike Tucker, President and CEO, Independent Office Products & Furniture Dealers Association
- Rep. David Cicilline, Chairman, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law
- Moderated by Dan Cullen, Senior Strategy Officer, American Booksellers Association
Panel Discussion and Call to Action
- Zephyr Teachout, Author and Professor, Fordham University School of Law
- Stacy Mitchell, Co-Director, Institute for Local Self-Reliance
- Moderated by Derek Peebles, Executive Director, American Independent Business Alliance
- Dana Eness, Executive Director, StayLocal
For the first time in decades, passing new anti-monopoly laws is shaping up to be a key priority for federal policymakers in 2021. Last October, the House’s antitrust subcommittee, led by Congressman David Cicilline, published the findings of an extensive investigation of market concentration. The subcommittee’s report concludes that dominant firms like Amazon are abusing their market power and calls for new legislation to update and strengthen the antitrust laws.
Small businesses have a critical role to play in shaping this agenda and ensuring that anti-monopoly policies are a central part of Congress’s economic recovery strategy.
Join with independent business owners and leaders from across the country for a live conversation with Rep. Cicilline and other experts and advocates on February 22 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. ET.
American Booksellers Association
American Independent Business Alliance
American Specialty Toy Retailing Association
Austin Independent Business Alliance
Cambridge Local First
Independent Office Products & Furniture Dealers Association
Institute for Local Self-Reliance
Local First Arizona
Local First La Plata
Louisville Independent Business Alliance
Lowcountry Local First
Main Street Alliance
National Grocers Association
Portland Independent Business & Community Alliance
Running Industry Association
Spokane Independent Metro Business Alliance